The reserve itself (as distinct from the playing area) was enclosed by a paling fence, and both the football and cricket clubs made repeated applications to the management committee for permission to charge spectators for entry to the ground. Permission was refused. During the depression the palings from the fence became a popular source of firewood, and by the end of 1934 the committee decided to dismantle what remained of it.
Fresh from its premiership success of 1937/38 the club was looking around for further challenges. The Eastern Suburbs Cricket Association had commenced a turf competition, and the committee at Canterbury felt that playing on turf could open the way for Canterbury to play higher cricket. Councillor Roy Dimmick played a crucial role in turf wickets being installed at Canterbury. Not only was he mayor of Camberwell, but he was also chairman of the management committee and president of the cricket club. With support from the management committee and splendid co-operation from the council's Division of Parks & Gardens, the cricket club was successful in having Merri Creek soil procured and installed at Canterbury.
The era of turf had arrived at Canterbury.